Here are some narrative essay writing tips that you should know. Writing narrative essay to receive a decent mark you should pay attention to the principle elements of such essay. Here we offer a complete set of them. Devote some time to the offered details and you’ll master narrative essay writing process.
The main Storyline of narrative essay
A storyline is a kind of element without which no narrative essay can survive. You will not have any right to call it narrative if it lacks storyline. Narrative writing should contain description of some events creating a story for your reader to be eager to follow. The best followed plot is the one containing some kind of conflict. Here you can choose the type suiting your target and topic most of all:
- Individual against individual
- Individual against nature
- Individual against society
- Individual against his own demons
Setting the plot of narrative essay
One more element you will not be able to ignore reveals the details of personal narrative essay entrusting the reader information related to place and time. To get the 3D- view of the situation your reader needs to see how the things moved. He should be supplied with details to be ready to recreate the moment you describe in his head. Providing bright description of location the moments take place you will get your reader engaged. The sense of time is formed thanks to time indicators (include data about historical period, year, season, day) which can help the audience to recreate even the details you failed to include in your location details. In combination, they provide aggregate picture. Such description creates a specific atmosphere rendering emotions of heroes to the audience which is perceived on the subliminal level. Social conditions help to get deeper insight of the heroes’ actions. Include the portrayal of speech, habits, suit, traditions of your characters making the acquaintance more vivid. Descriptions of mood and atmosphere help the reader to see the situation from the author’s viewpoint.
- Protagonist is the principal hero whose actions make the basement of the whole storyline.
- Antagonist represents opposition to protagonist throwing sand in his wheels. This character can be represented not just as some other person but also by the protagonist’s features of character illustrating a struggle with own drawbacks.
The author can also choose between two types of characters participating in the story:
- Static hero is the one that is staying the same during the story. He has settled convictions and is not going to change his mind.
- Dynamic hero is the character who undergoes changes in the course of narrative essays: he can evaluate his actions and influence of his positive and negative features on his life. Having understood his drawback he is working on it to change for better.
You cannot create atmosphere of the essay story within one sentence: it includes details of plot, settings, heroes, and literary devices. To offer an aggregate picture be attentive to all details.
Depending on the kind of message, you need to make certain what kind of presentation. Choose the one most suitable for your short story:
- Essays are written from the point of view of author (first person narrator, referred to as “I”)
- Essays are told from the third person who does not belong to the characters of the story (third person point of view, referred to as “he”, “she”.
Thanks to such turns of speech the author can create a certain style. This is a bright illustration of the author’s eloquence. To make your audience interested in the content throughout the story address to humor, metaphor, dramatic irony, simile, foreshadowing, and any other means capable of making your language more vivid.
Writing your narrative essay mind the peculiarities of the represented here elements and get your high grade!