Writing a narrative essay is like telling a little story from your life. Close people become the characters of your essay, and you become both a writer and the main hero. If you have received a personal narrative essay as your high school assignment, don’t worry if you have no idea what to write about — this article has got some great personal narrative ideas for high school.
What Is a Personal Narrative Essay and How to Write It
Essays of this type require a vivid plot filled with sincere emotions and memories.
Here are a few tips on how to write a personal narrative essay:
- The most important step is to find a narrative essay topic that will be interesting for both you and your potential reader. Make a short research to see what suits you — it has to be something personal and important to you.
- Use a descriptive language in your essay. It means that your story has to be written with the help of various expressions and words that you don’t often use. Read examples of an author you like if you are not sure how to do that.
- Make a strong point. The purpose of your narrative essay is not only to share your thoughts but to teach others something new. Your story should teach others something you’ve learned from your own experience. Try to make the lesson of your narrative both fun and useful.
- Make sure to work on the plot of your narrative essay. Use an outline. It has to reach the climax, the highest point of emotional intensity, and give the story a great turn. Add a little twist to surprise your readers.
Top High School Personal Narrative Essay Topics
Here are some great topics for the personal narrative essay for high school students. Choose the one that you like the most and get your straight A in class!
- What was the most unpleasant experience of your life?
- Describe an experience when someone has told you a secret information about them. How did it make you feel?
- Describe the worst and the best day in details.
- How did the first day of high school go for you? Include a detailed description of your feelings.
- How did you meet your best high school friends? Where did it happen?
- What is the best person that you have met? How did he or she influence you?
- Which music inspires you? How often do you listen to it?
- What teacher inspired you? How do you like his or her classes?
- Tell about a time when you took part in any school event.
- Describe a situation when you and your parents misunderstood each other or didn’t agree with your opinion. How did you solve this situation?
Other Personal Narrative Essay Topics
Narrative essay topics from that list will be both great for high school students and those who are already in colleges or university. Even if you are not a student, you can use these narrative topics to practice your writing skills and put your memories and emotions on a paper.
- Describe the hardest decision of your life that you had to make.
- Tell about words or phrases that annoy you when someone uses them.
- Which talent do you have that you are proud of?
- Describe problems that you face every day. How do you cope with them?
- What movies have inspired you? When did you watch them?
- Describe the trip when you traveled to another city or country. What did you do?
- What animal would like to be?
- How did you overcome your biggest fear?
- What is your biggest loss in life?
- Which failures did you experience in your life and what did they teach you?
These were the most popular topics that are great for a personal narrative essay. Start your writing as soon as possible. If these topics are not what you were looking for, try to look for some more essay topics online — and you will find the one that is perfect for you.