Are you good in telling stories? If yes, then it will be easier for you to write a narrative paper. But telling and writing are two different things. Even those students who like telling stories often have no idea how to write a narrative. This kind of academic paper is one of the most interesting assignments students get. But if you want to write a really worthy paper, you need to follow a certain structure. It is more difficult to organize the flow of thoughts when writing a narration.
Want to become a guru in writing narratives? Follow a step-by-step guide!
What Is a Narrative: A Clear Picture of It
Before you get started, make sure you can answer the question: “What is a narrative?” This type of essay supposes that a writer should tell an interesting story about some event or his/her personal experience that would be useful for others. Narrative writing is a good chance to demonstrate your creative approach to writing academic papers. Here you can use your imagination to the full extent. Narratives differ from descriptions. When writing a story, a writer is expected to pursue some goal. For example, you tell a story with the aim to motivate your reader, to educate, or just to entertain.
You are free to write either about the events that took place in real life or write about imaginary events. The only thing to keep in mind is that your narrative should be well-structured. Find out what parts you need to include in it.
How to Write a Narrative the Best Way: The Structure You Should Follow
A narrative essay has certain similarities to other essays. But there are certain distinctive features you need to be aware of to compose a good paper. Have a look at the structure you need to follow.
- Introduction. First, you need to provide your reader with information about the event you are going to talk about. Who is the main character of your story? When and where did the event take place? You can include some background information if it is important for the understanding of the situation.
- Main Body. Here you are expected to write about the events that happened in a clear and concise manner. Include some tense moment in your main body somewhere closer to the conclusion. It is called the “climax”. This will help to cause the necessary emotions in the reader.
- Conclusion. Now, it is time to finish your story. Make sure that the reader will understand what happened at the end.
Effective Tips for Writing a Top-Quality Narrative Paper
Check the tips below to write a real masterpiece:
- Choose the subgenre of your narrative. It can be an adventure, a love story, a fantasy, etc. Choose the one you have good storytelling skills in.
- Pick an eye-catching title for your story. Make it intriguing and original for your reader to wonder what your story is about.
- Do an analysis of your story plot. Make sure that it sounds hooking. Analyze whether there is a resolution of the conflict in your paper.
Don’t forget to edit and proofread your narrative before you submit it. Even minor mistakes may spoil the overall impression of your brilliant plot. Hope that the tips will help you to write a great narrative paper!