Good Start For Narrative Essay
Probably most of the students heard about a narrative essay and didn’t think that it would be that hard to write. But when it comes to actually writing it we feel stuck at the very beginning. Don’t worry if you have no ideas with which to start that type of essays — this article has got some tips.
Key Information About Narrative Essay
Here are the most important things you should know about a narrative essay:
- Narrative essay is written in a form of a story. It means that the author has to include characters, a plot, a climax, the beginning, and the ending.
- Usually, in the narrative essays writers use the first person the most. The third person can be used too, but not recommended.
- Narrative essay is based on details. Adding description to even regular objects will help your essay look more colorful.
- Your paper needs to have a purpose. It should have a lesson that you have from your own experience.
- Always check your grammar after you’re done with writing your narrative. It applies to all kinds of essays — it should be a rule number one for you. Without a well-written text, you won’t get a grade you deserve.
Ways to Start a Narrative Essay
You might have great characters and an amazing plot, but when you don’t have a good start for your narrative essay everything seems pointless. That’s a well-known struggle for every writer. Here is a list where you can find the most popular ideas for a nice start.
- Tell an anecdote. A short joke or a funny story that you found or somebody told you can be a great start for your narrative essay. It will definitely intrigue your reader and will make him or her want to read your story further.
- Ask a question. You could ask your readers a question the answer to is hidden in your text. Also, you could keep an answer as a secret to the end and give it only in the conclusion.
- Share an interesting fact. A fact in a narrative essay is some information that is relatable and personal for you. It can also be something from your experience. If done correctly, you could set the right tone of your story.
Use a quote. You can mention quotes from books you like or a phrase said by the famous person that has inspired you. There are two things to remember though: the quote you choose should not be very long and it should fit perfectly the main point.
- Include statistics. At first, it might not seem a good idea. But if you make an important connection to your story and show how statistics can relate to your ideas, statistical facts can serve as a great hook.
It’s okay if you don’t know how to start — inspiration doesn’t always come when we need it. What’s important is to keep working on your narrative and not to give up.